Starting with a 2000 GMC Sonoma ZQ8, it had a 2.2 4 cyl and dead 4L60E trans. The frame and cab were in good shape, but the front clip was pretty hashed from multiple deer hits and the box, in addition to being rotted out, looked like it had been used to haul tractor engine blocks. This is what it looked like the day I rolled it into the barn to start the work:
I thrashed on it just enough to able to hit the last couple of events in 2012. This amounted to getting the engine, trans, fuel cell, and other related systems set up
The winter of 12'/13' it went back under the knife for the rest of its re-working. With the aid of a craigslist parts truck, the hood, front bumper, windshield, and box were replaced. The interior was stripped and Kirkey Pro-Drag seats installed as were proper harness'. The roof was cut off and an elaborate cage was welded in.
I had planned to paint it low gloss black with old school flames, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. After trying and failing, to decide what color might work with the flames, I decided to paint it yellow. 68-70 GM Daytona to be exact. While I would've like it to be a more vibrant yellow, I'm pleased with it the way it is.
I decided to make my own grille so as to be able to get as much air on the radiator as possible. The stock piece took away too much radiator opening for my liking.
Brake ducting parts. Cut down the ducts and riveted them into the driving light openings in the bumper valance. There isn't enough room to connect the hoses to the spindles, so I aimed them at some scoops I added to the spindles to catch the air. Not the best idea, but one that would work. The downside being it really only works while the truck is going straight. However they worked great at the track day I attended at Gingerman Raceway. Not a bit of the fade I experienced with the Malibu.
1975 400 small block bored .030 over, "ginsu" cast crank, race prepped 5.7 rods, hyperutectic pistons, Lunati VooDoo 489/504 cam, Vortec heads with 2.02/1.60 valves/screw in studs/guide plates, Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, 750 Holley converted for E85, Sanderson shorty headers, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ an x-pipe and 40 series Flowmasters, Summit Racing billet racing distributor, CD ignition box, and coil.
Hays Aluminum flywheel, Clutch Dynamics 11" 4-puck ceramic pad solid hub clutch w/ diaphragm pressure plate, Ram hyd throw-out, wilwood 3/4" clutch m/c, B/W/ wide ratio Super T10, Hurst street super shifter
Stock GM 7.5" 10-bolt housing, moser axles, Auburn pro-series diff, 3.08 gear, ARP 1/2" studs
Stock size rotors up front w/ 1/2" ARP studs, Speedway Motors 2.75" piston Metric calipers w/ Hawk HP Plus pads, and Jegs dot braided AN flex lines
Day motorsports vented street stock rotors out back, Jegs metric caliper mounts, O.E.size Metric calipers /w Hawk HP Plus pads, and braided AN flex lines
1-1/8" C3 Corvette Brake M/C, 7" dual diaphragm booster, Wilwood bias valve for rear, Jegs line-loc for front.